Everyone loves a happy ending, and that’s exactly what happened to a pup called Jake. At three weeks old, Jake was trapped in a burning garage. His mom and some of his siblings managed to escape but just as Jake went to run, the ceiling collapsed, trapping him inside.
Jake was saved by a local firefighter named Bill Lindler. “I noticed there was some smoke coming from my neighbor’s yard. The residents were yelling their puppy was in the building. I ran back into my house, grabbed some firefighting gear and ran across the street.”
Although he was saved, Jake still suffered burns to 75% of his body, including his paw pads. His owners soon had to abandon him at the vet, as they couldn’t afford to pay for his care.
“I contacted the vet and the vet informed me that…the family had abandoned him at the office. That’s when me and my family decided we would adopt him.”
Surrounded by loving people at the Hanahan Fire Department and Lindler’s family, Jake recovered quickly.
He turned out to be such a great morale booster for the firefighters that he’s now not only been given the official title of station mascot, but he’s also been made an honorary firefighter.
“I would honestly like to get him certified to be a therapy dog for burned children.”
“But [I] have changed gears and we are focusing on training him to be an Arson Detection Dog.”